Jacks or Better Casino is a fun poker game to build the best possible poker hand and win the game. If you contain at least a pair of jacks, you will win the game. When you enter into the game dealer would deal with five cards and then choose which card you want to keep and which you wish to remove.
The rules of this game are similar to five-card draw poker. But there is no raising or bluffing as you can’t play against other players. To play Jacks or better all, you have to do is place a single bet and have a hand that includes a pair of jacks or better to win the game. And if you lose the house will win the game.
When you enter into the game, you select the number of credits you want to wager in the game. Then the dealer deals you five cards after which you have to select which cards you are keeping and which not. Then the replacement cards are dealt with and the cards you finally have at the end of the game decide whether you win or lose.
Kind of Hands
Two/Three of a kind – This hand contains either two same numbered cards or three same numbered cards. For example, two or three 4s.
Two Pair – This hand contains two pairs of different numbers. For example, two 4s and two 6s.
Full House – When you have both two of a kind and a three of a kind, it is called a full house. For example, two 4s and three 6s.
Flush – A flush contains all the cards of the same suit and different numbers. For example,1, 4, 5, 7of spades.
Straight – If you have all the five numbers in a sequence, no matter which suit you have a sequence, for example, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8.
Outside straight – If you have an almost straight hand where one end is missing, you can use any other card and make it an outside straight. For example, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8 can be called as an outside straight since you can add Ace or 6 at an end and make it a complete straight.
Inside straight – If the number missing in a straight sequence is in between the sequence it is called an inside straight, for example, 2, 3, 5, 6, 10 is an inside straight since if you had 4 in the middle, it would have been straight.
Straight Flush – If you have a sequence of numbers with the same suit, it is called a straight flush. So, it is a combination of both straight and flush. For example, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 of clubs.
Royal Flush – A royal flush is a jackpot. It is a straight flush with the highest sequences possible. So, there can only be a royal flush with 10. Jacks. Queen. King, Ace of the same suit. This serves the highest payout of all.
Tips and Winning Strategies for Jacks or Better
There are many strategies designed by experts to increase your chances of winning. All the strategies are made in a card and sold in gift shops, or you can download it online. These charts show how many cards to hold and how many to discard based on what cards you get.
- If you hold only one high card, draw four cards.
- If you hold any pair, draw three cards, but this tip is not always applicable.
- If you hold three of a kind or three cards to a straight flush, draw two cards
- If you hold four of a kind, two pairs, or four cards to a straight or flush, draw one card.
- If you hold a straight, flush, full house, a straight flush, or a royal straight flush, do not draw any cards.
- If you don’t have any matching cards in your hand, hold a card that is higher or equal value to Jacks.
- If there are no combinations and no Jacks or higher, try drawing five new cards.
But the best strategy out there is to keep playing more and more, that’s the best way to master this game and as you gain more experience, the more you increase your chance to win.
You should make the following decisions regarding a low pair:
- You have a four to Straight, always keep that par. For Example, if you got 44567 keep the pair of 4 but discard the rest.
- You have a three to a straight flush you should keep the low pair. For example, 2spade 3spade 4spade 4hearts 8clubs you should hold both the 4s
- You have two to a Royal flush you should still hold the low pair. For example, you have 9 spades,9 clubs, 4 spades, 8 diamond, King Spade, and Ace Spade. You should hold the 9s and discard the rest.
- You have three or four to a Royal Flush you should discard the low pair. For example, you have 9 spades,9 clubs, 4 diamond, Queen spade, King Spade, and Ace Spade.
You should make the following decisions regarding a high pair:
- You are four to a flush and a high pair you should hold the pair and replace all the other cards.
- You have four to a Straight. You should keep your high pair and replace other cards so that there are better chances for you to win.
- If you have three to a Royal Flush, you should still hold the pair. Because there are reasonably high chances that you might not get a royal flush and lose your money.
- Even if you have three to a straight flush keeping the high pair might prove to be a better option.
- But when you have four to a royal flush, you might want to take the risk and discard the higher cards for a bigger payout.
Hands you should never play:
- If you have suited 10 and ace, then keep the ace only.
- If you have 3 unsuited high cards, and the highest card as an ace then keep the lowest two high cards.
- If you have 4 to an inside straight, and 2 high cards, then keep the two high cards.
- If you have 4 to an inside straight, and 1 high card, then you should keep the single high card.
- If you have 4 to an inside straight but not any high card, then discard everything.
The Jacks or better generally have the same payout in most of the casinos, but it may vary sometimes. But general payouts are listed below:
- One Pair of Jacks or Better Pays 1:1
- Two Pairs Pays 2:1
- Three of a Kind Pays 3:1
- Straight Pays 4:1
- Flush Pays 6:1
- Full House Pays 9:1
- Four of a Kind Pays 25:1
- Straight Flush Pays 50:1
- Royal Flush Pays 250:1
The payouts may be different depending on the casino so kindly check before placing your bet. You can always change it if you don’t get at least these payouts.
Jacks or better vs. Five Card Draw
The difference between the two games is that in Jack’s or better, you must have a pair of jacks or better to open the initial betting round. And if no player has such cards, the cards are shuffled, and a new hand is dealt.
When you call for Jack’s or better for placing your bet the other players may call fold or raise the bet, but the player has to show that he was qualified to call for it. There is no bluffing like in five-card draw poker. The pot grows every time the cards are dealt, but the winner takes it all.
Before betting real money, you can try Jacks or Better for free with game money. There are a ton of websites helping you do that, and there are also many apps on the Google play store and Apple App Store to download where you can play this game for free.
So, you can practice for free before spending your real money, learn all the strategies and then if you want, you can go to any casino and play this game as you want.
Jacks or Better is a game giving high importance to those who have numbers on the higher side, but that’s what we think life does to us as well. Nevertheless, Jacks or Better is an interesting way to enjoy and earn some hefty payouts at the same time.
Although, the game is based on luck as for what cards you get if played with a good strategy applied in practice might increase your chances of winning. To master this game, you have to be observant, play smart, stay sharp, play it cool, frugal, and be prudent.
We cannot assure you will win each game, but you have a strong chance to win in the long run. So, you should try this game out and if this guide works, thank us later. All the best!